Thursday, April 15, 2010

Science and Religion

I am finishing up my senior thesis paper on Science and Religion, having learned much through the research and process of putting my thoughts down on paper. Everything is done but the conclusion. What can we conclude about the intersection of science and religion in the 21st century. Is there a place for traditional religions? How might they change - if they, in fact, have the courage to be flexible?


Robert Wright points out that historical religions are in trouble today because they were constructed during the time when agrarian and pastoral cultures reigned the landscape. The ethic, "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you," is found in virtually every religion in one form or another. Is this enough?


I would promote the idea that we must acknowledge, deep within ourselves that the "other" is "us." We are integrally connected. What I do has repercussions for the rest of humanity and, ultimately, the cosmos. I am going to practice looking into people's eyes and smiling when I pass them. My step to letting folks know they are not alone.

No comments: